Preston’s leisure and night time economy has once again officially been recognised as safe, vibrant and well managed.
Following an application process this July, the city has once again been awarded the Purple Flag Accreditation from the Association of Town and City Centre Management, supported by the Home Office and the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime.
By meeting or surpassing the standards of excellence in managing the evening and night time economy, place managers throughout the UK can apply to be officially granted the Purple Flag status.
Towns and cities that are accredited, of which there are 70 nationally, have reported positive feedback from businesses and visitors who are increasingly recognising the value of the award.
The accreditation process takes towns and cities through a comprehensive set of standards and management processes.
To be formally recognised as a Purple Flag destination (a similar standard to the Green Flag for parks and the Blue Flag for beaches), destinations must demonstrate:
- A vibrant choice of leisure and entertainment for diverse ages, groups, lifestyles and cultures.
- An policy that shows a clear strategy and a successful multi-sector partnership.
- The destination is safe & welcoming with all sectors delivering high standards of customer care.
- Patrons can get home safely and move around the centre on foot with ease.
- The destination is alive during the day, as well as in the evening and late at night containing a blend of activities that encourage people to mingle and enjoy the city.
John Boydell, Chair of Preston BID, said: “Preston’s early evening and night time economy has improved dramatically in recent years. There is more choice than ever before with investment from established venues and new places to enjoy opening regularly.
“Preston is an ever-evolving city, the only destination in Lancashire to have been awarded the Purple Flag accreditation – I would like to thank everyone involved in the application process, that works tirelessly year-round, to make Preston an award-winning place to visit.”